Tetris Advance is an authentic Tetris game published only in Japan.
- ARE is roughly half a second.
- Hold piece allows switching during ARE, similar to IHS of TGM3.
- All tetrominoes enter 1 block to the right of where they would ordinarily enter in SRS.
- Rotation of J, L, and T matches SRS, but S and Z are different (imagine TGM rotation with separate left and right states). Rotation of I tetromino is buggy, with several wall kicks missing.
- DAS is slow.
- Gravity maxes out at what appears to be 1G, even once the expert player approaches 400 lines and becomes bored with the lack of the raw speed.
- Line clear has no additional delay.
- Endless, 2 minute, Challenge modes are present.
- Options are present: disable ghost piece, disable hold, disable wall kick, disable infinity, disable animation, set preview size (1 or 6)
- Playfield graphics strongly resemble those of the subsequent Tetris DS.
- Music at level 5 resembles that of a Starman in Super Mario Bros. and Tetris DS.
In challenge mode, you have to accomplish those missions:
- 3 tetrises
- Bravo field clear, with infinite T pieces (see this for solution)
- Play 30 seconds in level 99
- Erase 100 lines
- Get 100,000 points
- Bravo field clear, within 10 pieces (See the talk page for a solution, or you can use this VBA cheat code to skip this mission : 03001156:02)
- Reach level 9
- Erase 10 lines without any rotations
- 3 tetrises (level 99)
- Bravo field clear, with random pieces
This mode will unlock after you complete all missions in challenge mode. The gravity is fixed at 20G. Though it is easier than TGM series, it becomes more difficult if you disable infinity.